Friday, July 8, 2011

Home-made Kerabu Bee Hoon- Fresh, tantalizing and spicy...

I am inspired Chef Wan's recipes, and one fine day,  I watched him prepare his grandma's recipe - the famous nyonya cuisine, the kerabu bee hoon (vermicelli salad). Coming from Penang, I have eaten this dish a couple of times, but never thought of trying it out on my own until today. It is a very popular Nyonya rice noodle salad, very pungent, sharp and tasty.
Ingredients

Fish sauce, Palm Sugar, Fried Onions
More Ingredients...



Very early in the morning, I made my way to the morning market. to get the fresh ingredients. They were :

Dried prawns, soaked in water for 10 minutes to soften (and then fried)
Fresh prawns
Dried rice vermicelli noodles (beehoon)
Sambal Belachan - I normally make it, and keep it.
Shallots, finely sliced
Garli & ginger corasely pounded
Finely sliced daun limau purut/kaffir lime leaves and daun kunyit/tumeric leaves
Freshly grated coconut, toasted
lime juice
Seasoning -salt, palm sugar & fish sauce
Chopped spring onions, coriander leaves, mint leaves & bunga kantan (ginger flower)
Fried onions

  1. Wash and drain the dried prawns, and use a mortar and pound them. Then fry them.
  2. Cook the noodles in boiling water for about 3-5 minutes until the noodles are soft. Drain.
  3. Combine the Sambal Belachan, pounded garlic-ginger, shallots, dried prawns, grated coconut, lime juice and seasoning in a large bowl. Add the prawns, then mix in the rice noodles and chopped herbs and toss well. Serve immediately. 
And lastly, I added my own touch...I put it over a light fire, and stir them through...
Note that, normally this dish is not cooked, and is eaten raw...but I had to make it mine, so I cooked them lightly...

    Though minimally flavoured, the noodles were fragrant with belacan and calamansi lime and boast herbal notes of torch ginger flower and mint. As you take a bite, a burst of flavours dance on our tongues (and continue to do so even after you finished, thanks to chilies), leaving you both sated and wishing for more.

    And imagine it with a steaming hot cup of teh tarik...yum,yum...

    You might also like :
    1.LUXURIOUS PASTA- My Pride & Joy

    No comments: