Friday, March 4, 2011

LUXURIOUS PASTA- My Pride & Joy

Pasta is not always all about spaghetti with carbonara or bolognese sauce. Inspired by Lillian's blog, I decided on my version of luxurious pasta, using high-end ingredients :- salmon, prawn, portabelo mushroom, feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, preserved olives and a dash of liquor. It can't get more luxurious than that, can it?










My advise to all, feel free to play with the ingredients, you can substitute the portabelo mushrooms with shitake, for a sweeter taste, or button mushrooms, or in fact any other type of mushroom. I would, however, avoid the oyster mushroom. As for the cheese, I went out looking for blue cheese, but could not find any. So I found this pack of  beautiful, feta cheese , flavoured with herb-infused olive oil, tomatoes and olives. Doesn't that sound glorious? You can choose to add capsicums, hopefully, yellow or red ones, as they would give you the extra points in colour, but I chose not too. I went through my liquor cabinet, and found a bottle of home-made wine, so I had to use it. But, any sort of liquor would do fine, brandy or whiskey. We are just going to use a dash. of it


For the aroma and flavour, start off by frying a significant amount of garlic in olive oil. Do not chop them small, remember to just lightly sweat them, not fry them into golden brown. The key to  allow the garlic to caramelize and maintain its sweetness, and flavour the olive oil. Then, in the same oil, lightly fry the salmon block. Remember not deep fry the salmon, let it lightly crisp on the outside, and  maintain the raw texture inside. Overcooked salmon, never taste good. Take the salmon block out, and flake them. Then put in the prawns and mushrooms and allow them to cook. After that, add  more olive oil, and simply dump in the cooked pasta. I use spaghetti most of the time, but fettuccine or linguine can be used too. Reduce the fire, add in the cheese, and mix thoroughly, put in the salmon flakes, and lastly a dash of liquor. Don't forget your seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Make sure you have enough olive oil to cover the spaghetti.

Served with  freshly grated parmesan cheese, Italian herbs and coriander leaves,  this dish is simply exquisite.
I have yet to eat this in any restaurant, and I believe that this is way beyond ordinary restaurant standards. In fact, it could deserved on a menu at a five star restaurant.

 I am definitely proud of this dish!! Wish you the best in trying this out.

You might also like :
1. Quick & Easy Spagethi Blog-naise....enough time for me to cook and even blog about it
2.A Fresh Family Dish - Chicken Matball Spaghetti

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

One of my favourite dish... We can call it Rubita's signature dish. Well done and keep up the good job.