Friday, March 25, 2011

Fish Head Curry-My Favourite Comfort Food

The Fish Head Curry dish is a all time Malaysian favourite. We have even heard news that Singapore claims this dish to be their national dish, but I am not going to that debate.

There many versions of the fish head. Indian, Nyonya, Malay and even the Chinese version. I have tried this delicacy in many restaurants, but I still prefer my own home-made version. The fish head curry is served in a clay pot, in most eateries, but I cook mine in a clay-pot. I believe cooking the curry in a clay-pot, enhances the flavour.




The reason I like my own fish head curry it because I can choose the fish I  use. I normally go for "ikan kurau", "merah" and "jenahak" and the latter is my favourite. Unlike in the restaurants, we don't know what type of fish they have for the day, and won't be able to control its freshness. I can  add as much tomatoes, lightly fried aubergines and young tender lady’s fingers for a balance meal of veges.


Throw in a few pieces of birds-eye chilly and a lemongrass to make it more exotic.Garnish with toppings of fragrant mint leaves and raw pieces of onions which enhanced the flavor of the curry.However, the most important thing is the preparation of the paste that gives the base flavour. Unlike the tradisional way, of just using fish curry powder,  I use 2 kind of paste ( A) Grind shallots, garlic and ginger (B) Blend dried chillies, chilly powder, tumeric and fish curry powder.


As the gravy boils, a swift of the aroma fills your nose, and immediately you will start to salivate.... That is one of the reason why I like cooking this all time favourite.
You might also like :

No comments: