Friday, July 15, 2011

Claypot Fish Head(Pork Free Version) : A One Pot Dish

One Pot Dish, indeed....there is so much of deliciousness in it, you don't need any other dish. It is such a simple dish, and one does not need any skill to make this dish. A mother's dream, I would say..hassle free dish.

I was introduced to this dish when I was a small girl. My family and I used to frequent this very "antique" Chinese Restaurant in a market, back in my hometown-I think we used to call it Fatty Restaurant. Mind you, not only the restaurant does not exist anymore, the market has also long been shifted...I remember my mom tried to replicate the dish as home, and it was one of our favorite "luxury" food back then.

It has been years, and years now, and I have just decided to try this dish. Luckily, I was spot on, whereby, the dish turned out perfectly nice, and everyone loved it..

Guess, no harm in sharing my version...

Fish Head                                                                                                      
Mushrooms, Carrots, Cauliflower, Japanese To-Fu, Capsicum, Chinese Cabbage (these are the veges I used, but you can add anything you like as long as the taste does not clash)                                                         
Onions(cubes), Garlic (light crushed) , Ginger (Sliced)                        
Seasoning : Oyster Sauce, Fish Sauce, Corn Flour                               
Marinate : Turmeric, Salt, Egg, Cornflour 

Rinse fish head and cut into pieces, season with  salt ,tumeric and a little corn flour.Break an egg and mix .Leave it to marinate for a while. Heeat up oil, coat fish heads with corn flour and deep fry until golden brown, dish up and drain.

Heat up some oil, fry it garlic, ginger and onion until fragrant. Add in oyster sauce, and a little fish sauce Add in the mushrooms, carrots (any hardy veges) and the Japanese To-Fu (The To-Fu is added in early so it can absorb the flavour.Add in the rest of the veges (except any leafy veges, and anything else that you want crunchy). I left out the Chinese Cabbage leaves and the Capsicums because I wanted them crunch. Then add in the fish. Let it simmer until the veges cook, and the fish absorbs the flavour. Add liquid accordingly.Add a little corn flour to some water. Add the mixture and add remaining veges. Simmer for 5 min or so. Serve hot with steam rice.

You might also like :
1.Fish Head Curry-My Favourite Comfort Food




No comments: