Thursday, March 3, 2011

Idli- Steamed Rice Cakes & Mock Mutton Meal

Idli is a south Indian savoury cake which is popular throughout India. It is normally eaten for breakfast or dinner. This steamed rice cakes is ideally eaten while it is hot. Paired with Indian gravy is makes a superb meal. As I planned for a full vegetarian meal for the day, I had to come up with a vegetarian gravy dish. 


Prepared idli with mock mutton curry

Flluppy, white rice cakes paired with hot, spicy "mutton" gravy



The idlis turned out to soft and fluffy, despite the fact the were made of instant idli mix. In addition to that, the mock mutton was equally good. 
 A good cook( not that I am one) usually does not cook with a hard and fast rule. The trick is to tweak it a little, and make it work for you. Me, being me, did not follow the exact measurement of the water, and somehow got the batter too watery. Instead of panicking, I added 2 tablespoon of semolina and converted this into rava idli or semilina rice cakes. Genius, ain't I?

To make an exciting vegetarian gravy dish, I added potatoes and shitake mushroom into the recipe. The verdict, a dish that you would NOT realize the loss of meat.




Cooking is fun, when you are cooking without a recipe.....Nowadays, it is even more fun, when you can get it all in a packet.



No comments: